Re: Can I get a word in edgewise here, puhlease?

Gene,

First, no, you can't get a word in edgewise. This list is solely for the that small group of people that feel good about taking over a list an turning into their own. They have no concept of fairness and think that everyone of us needs and wants to be "educated" and they will do it and shove it down our eyes with no regard to our "rights".

With the conversion to HDTV in our local market now underway, I need to be able to tell xine what channels there are. Unforch, the

 dvbscan -fx -o .xine/channels.conf

doesn't regenerate the file with the new 8VSB signals that have come online in the last week.

Well, the only thing that I have found that *may* help is the following statement....

"dvbscan does not do a full-spectrum frequency scan. To get information on the available multiplexers, it reads this information from an existing transport. So you have to feed it this information; happily, the source distribution comes with a handy selection of transport settings for most of the available transmitters.

To find a transport setting file, run dvbscan without parameters. It will list all transport setting files and its run options. You should find your transport setting in a directory with a name like /usr/local/share/dvb/scan/dvb-c/ for cable, /usr/local/share/dvb/scan/dvb-s/ for satellite, or /usr/local/share/dvb/scan/dvb-t/ for terrestial TV. The name gives the country and location; for example, au-Adelaide refers to Adelaide, South Australia. To be sure, look at the beginning of the file, which should look something like this: "

So, maybe you need to locate a proper dvb file?

Does anyone know how to make that work, or, how to change channels in the xine front end? I can't find a channel up/down function in its gui.

No...  Don't actually use xine for this purpose.