pulseaudio does not start after kernel update

Hi.

I'm suspicious that PulseAudio is not starting properly after kernel updates. For example, if I start Skype, I got the message: "problem with audio playback". Or if I try "Applications->Sound & Video->PulseAudio Volume Control", I got the message "connection refused". And finally:
[root@d510 ~]# aplay
*** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to connect: Connection refused
*** Is your sound server running?
*** See: http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/Troubleshooting
aplay: main:564: audio open error: Connection refused

I'm running Fedora 9 in a Dell Latitude D510 (old low spec machine). Does anyone else having similar problem?

Thanks

Marcelo