Re: DNS Attacks

bruce wrote:
As I understand the issue. The issue is one of being able to poison the DNS
app on the DNS server. There's not really much the casual user can do, aside
from switching to another DNS/IP address that's safe. But the rub is, do you
really know if the DNS/IP you're switching to is safe!

If you are really paranoid (or about to do large transactions on what you hope is your banking site), you could do a 'whois' lookup for the target domain to find their own name servers and send a query directly there for the target site.

The best approach, would probably be a system to allow you to poll a few DNS
servers, and to take the returned ip address that comes back from the most
of them as the "correct" ip address!! but this isn't implemented anywhere as
far as i know....

dig @dns_server target_name
will send a query to a specified DNS resolver. Most public-facing servers will only resolve the names of their own zones, especially now. I think the current vulnerability only involves cached addresses for which the server is not primary or secondary.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx