Re: that old GNU/Linux argument

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 01:59:00PM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> Sender: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> On Jul 22, 2008, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I've little sympathy for users being harassed into calling Linux
> > something else,
>
> Me too.  Likewise GNU.  It works both ways.
>
> Linux = kernel (says Linus)
>
> GNU = operating system (says RMS)

Some of this is opaque because we are playing on the squares.

What is the name of the lines in this game?

In my mind the lines are  "system" part of "Operating System" i.e. the
systematic interface between the kernel services and the applications.
This interface consists of an API and and ABI.   The API is mostly
hardware unaware and the ABI is mostly hardware specific.

Anyhow the two cents worth adding here is "what is the name of the lines?".

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Looking for a place to hang my hat.