Re: NetworkManager sabotages DNS? on fc9

Dave Burns wrote:
I just installed fc9 on a Dell precision T5400 from the live CD. On
previous fc9 installs, I've had a problem that networking doesn't
start at boot if I didn't open up the network panel and check
"controlled by networkmanager". On this new install, when I have that
box checked, DNS does not work (nslookup times out). If I uncheck that
box and disable/enable eth0, DNS starts working. DNS is being served
to this machine from another machine.

Does NetworkManager get DNS info from DHCP or somewhere else? How
could this behavior make sense? Does NetworkManager assume dynamic
addressing? I am trying to make it static, could that be the problem?

I guess I will experiment with just turning NetworkManager off, since
this is a desktop unit not a laptop, has no wireless.

It seems that NetworkManager-0.7.0-0.9.4.svn3675.fc9.i386.rpm has a new problem.

This is what happens at home, and is perfectly correct. My router is also a caching name server, so that is appropriate.

---
# generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!

search localdomain

nameserver 192.168.1.1
---

Here is what I get from DHCP at work.  This is NEW behaviour.

---
# generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!

domain mycorp.com

search localdomain

nameserver 10.1.6.29
nameserver 10.2.10.6
nameserver 192.168.1.1
---

See the problems?

The 'search' line is now broken. The DHCP response includes valid domain, search, and nameserver records. NetworkManager now mangles them to give a composite of what it had, with what it received.
The DHCP return packet did NOT contain the 'nameserver 192.168.1.1' entry.

So now every morning when I plug in at work, I have to edit the search line. Annoying!