Re: FC 7 booting problem

SALMAN AHMED wrote:
   I installed Fedora 7 sucessfully and using it very well , but after I
   installed windows XP boot loader options for FC7 disappered, although
   linux drives are still present as it is. Also on windows xp I have already
   activated list of operating systems visible for 20 seconds. But it did not
   work. should I have to install FC7 again. Please give opinion/recommendataions.

Windows assumes it owns the system and will overwrite any existing boot
loader when it installs (the arrogance of that still astonishes me).
For that reason, if you're ever going to have a dual-boot system install
Winblows FIRST, reserving unused disk space for the Linux installation.
You can then install Linux in the unused disk area.  Linux does
recognize that there are other OSes on the disk and will make
allowances.

However, to get past your problem:

1. Boot from the Linux CD/DVD in recovery mode (enter "linux recover"
at the "boot:" prompt from the CD/DVD).

2. At the shell prompt, enter "chroot /mnt/sysimage"

3. At the next shell prompt, enter "grub-install /dev/hda" (or use
"/dev/sda" or whatever your boot drive is).

4. Enter "exit" to exit the chroot environment.

5. Enter "exit" a second time to reboot the system.

6. Pop the CD/DVD out and let the system reboot.  Grub should appear
again.

Note that you may not have an entry for the Windows boot in grub.  If
not, boot in Linux and edit the /boot/grub/grub.conf file.  Add the
following lines to the END of that file:

	title Windows
		rootnoverify (hd0,0)
		chainloader +1

You need to change the ",0" part of "(hd0,0)" to reflect which
partition the Windows system uses on the drive.  If it's the
third partition, then it's "(hd0,2)" (partitions are numbered
from 0 in grub, NOT 1).

- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                       rps2@xxxxxxxx -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc.                                           -
-     The trouble with troubleshooting is that trouble sometimes     -
-                             shoots back.                           -