Re: that old GNU/Linux argument

> >> So, anyone who insists in naming Linux all of the
> GNU operating system
> >> used with the kernel Linux is contradicting the
> primary developer of
> >> GNU and the primary developer of Linus.
> >
> > And going along with how various distributions
> describe themselves.
>
> This made me curious how various distributions do describe
> themselves
> so I poked the websites of the top 8 listed on Distrowatch
> checking
> just the front page and the about link if there was such.
> Here is what
> I found::
>
> 1. Ubuntu - "Linux-based operating system"
> 2. openSUSE -  "Linux distribution"
> 3. Fedora - "Linux-based operating system"
> 4. Mint - "GNU/Linux desktop distribution"
> 5. PCLinuxOS - "Linux-based operating system"
> 6. Mandriva - "Linux operating system"
> 7. Debian - "GNU/Linux"
> 8. Dreamlinux - "modular GNU/Linux system"
>
> I tried to spot a reference to how each distribution
> described the
> operating system directly where possible - otherwise I went
> with the
> description of the distribution as a whole.
>
> The distributions seem at least as divided as the people
> discussing this here.
>
> John
>
> --

Taking this subset of Distributions, 3 out of 8
3/8 or 0.375 , 37.5% use GNU/Linux the rest call it Linux
62.5%, 5/8, 0.625 say it is plainly Linux.

Going back to Distrowatch, taking all the Distros listed, the active one, the nonactive ones, and the ones that one to come in, make the same experiment, it would be amazing to find out (maye be the top 100%) how many name their distros GNU/Linux.

Only there has to be several catches here,
The distros that are based on Debian will be GNU/Linux despite another name, why because Debian uses it.

The page on Distrowatch describes the major distributions, although it has not been updated to reflect the changes

http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

I guess this is extra work that will not do any good :(

Regards,

Antonio