2D CAD with background image map (qcad? brl-cad?)

Hi,
I need to draw routes of fiber optics cables ontop of a city map and I
would like to do this in some open source CAD application. It would be
great if the cad app would be something like Map3D so that it has
geospacial coordinates, but that is not a must have. One must have is
that I can scale the city map image so that it coresponds with real
world. When I mesure some distance I need to know real world distance.

I saw qcad but I don't see any option for importing images. I also saw
brl-cad and it looks promising but there is no Fedor apackage for it
so I can't test it easily.

Does anybody have some similiar 2D CAD experience? Can you recommend
some other app?

Cheers,
Valent.

--