Re: F9 - cups - windows shared printer

Craig White wrote:
<snip>
sometimes, I haven't a clue to references that you make - i.e. - 1st
law?

execute as instructed.

which is where i have found assembler to be better at than using an
'interpreter/compiler'.

if you can understand 'machine code', using assembler makes for a closer
relationship with processor.

where as with interpreter/compiler, you have to depend on how someone
else thinks they know what you want to do.

Obviously I try to stay away from editing the cups config files by hand
because they tend to get trampled on by cups configuration tools

very true. which is where if you do a manual config, _always_ make and
save a backup copy of what you do. then if something breaks, you can
look at what you did and what config tool did and gain a better
understanding of what and how to make a manual change.

fstab is a very good example of this.

Something, somewhere, somehow entered that line in the printers.conf
<snip>

and a prime example of if you make a manual change [not implying that
you did, only if you had] having your own backup of what you did, what
tool had done would have stood out more.

i am still at a wonder of why order of deny before allow in other file.
just does not seem logical. but then i do not know how source writers
set up things for file info is setup to use it.

Anyway, c'est la vie - that's what I get for not raking through the
config files with emacs and relying upon the gui tools

and allowing someone/thing else to interpret what you want.

anyway, it is working and that is what counts.

--

tc,hago.

.