Re: Minor GNOME and KDE menu annoyance

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 11:19 +0930, Tim wrote:
> Tim:
> >> That's still alternating between mouse and keyboard.  That's bad
> >> ergonomics.
> >>
> >> Menus should be a quick thing to do, that's *NOT.  That's convoluted
> >> and delaying.
>
> Patrick O'Callaghan:
> > You can still use the menu as a menu. All I'm saying is that this is a
> > good alterantive when you can't remember where everything is (as I
> > can't). I find it much quicker than scrolling through a menu in fact.
>
> A sign of bad menu implementation.  As we've both mentioned, KDE menus
> have been a mess, for quite some time.  That's one thing I've liked
> about the Gnome menus, they're generally simple.  e.g. Doodahs to
> configure your system are generally all in the one menu, not spread all
> about (unlike your other post about admin, utilities and system).
>
> Searching for something only works if you can guess/remember the right
> keyword to search for.  Whereas a menu offers you all your choices to
> look through.

I'm not arguing, but a) you admit you haven't used KDE4 (or did I
misunderstand?). Maybe you should try it. And b) the search is on any
substring of the command name or description, so it's actually very easy
to do. Also there's a submenu menu of recently used commands if you
really object to taking your hand off the mouse.

Menus are usable if they aren't too long (I seem to remember a usability
criterion of 7 or so items as being the recommended limit according to
various studies) or too deeply nested, aside from having a clear
organization.

The problem with all this is that it's hard for a system with lots of
diverse apps to keep to any of these criteria. I find the Windows menu
system frustrating because of this, plus the fact that stuff is often
organized under the name of the company that produced it, as if people
are going to remember that. MacOS isn't a lot better BTW.

poc