Re: 32 bit Java app on 64 bit Linux

Kevin Martin wrote:
Are you sure that it's using it's own java? Just because it installed it doesn't necessarily mean it's using it (one would think so but...). It would be interesting to see what Zend is actually using (you may be able to do this in the startup script with a "set -x" or you may need to look at it with strace).

I tried to strace the launcher but it seemed to cause it to hang (I'm not a dab hand with strace yet..).

However, I have been looking at this all evening and have discovered it's not specifically a Java issue, but rather a 32-bit networking problem. Basically, the 32 bit apps that I have installed (on 64 bit Fedora 9) are not able to resolve domain names, but they do still have network access.

I installed firefox.i386 and when trying to browse to www.google.com it responded with "Server not found". I pinged Google, got the IP address and put that straight into the address bar in FF and hey presto, web page.

So I think I've been inadvertently misleading this investigation. Sorry about that!

There was a really useful (if old-ish) page that helped inform me on the name resolution process in Linux: http://linuxgazette.net/issue50/tag/1.html

In a nutshell, it /appears/ that calls using gethostbyname() are not working, but gethostbyaddr() is. I have no idea how to resolve this (no pun intended). Networking libraries appear to be installed correctly (AFAIK) in /lib and /lib64.

Any further thoughts very welcome!

Thanks,
Steve