Re: that old GNU/Linux argument

On Jul 21, 2008, "Mark Haney" <mhaney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Let's change grep to gnu/grep!  Or bash to GNU/bash.

These are actually the names of the programs that are used in
GNU/Linux distributions.

> The point I'm making is this.  I have no trouble giving credit where
> credit is due.

Good.  Thank you.  Please do.

> I do have a problem with people demanding it.

I do have a problem with people demanding that the operating system be
called Linux.

I do have a problem wtih people demanding me to not ask them to
correct this unfair mistake.

> Those people don't deserve the credit if what they did was for their
> own glorification.

Agreed.

Turns out it wasn't.  That's the motivation of those who extended the
name Linux from the kernel to the OS, to distance themselves from the
ideals of the GNU project.

> To me, this is what this argument sounds like.

How about the reverse argument, of those who changed the name of the
GNU OS first?

> Please, take pride in the work you've done, don't cheapen it by acting
> like a spoiled glory hound.  Seriously.

You seem to be missing the goal we're *actually* working for, and that
the people who renamed the project want to deny us.

Please help us.

> Can we drop this now?

Will you help us?