Re: that old GNU/Linux argument

Björn Persson wrote:
Les Mikesell wrote:
I'm not sure there is an anti-GNU/Linux factor - just a pro "the other
85%" of the distro unwilling to give  unfair naming rights.

Are you sure that there really are people who want to include those 85% in GNU/Linux? I'm not. I have now seen several people state that "the whole thing" is Linux, but I haven't yet seen anyone state that "the whole thing" is GNU/Linux.

The other 85% has nothing to do with GNU, and is usually the driving force behind people bothering to install the GNU portions at all. That is, I don't install a system so I can run cp or tar or the other minor infrastructure components, I install it to run some useful applications. So it's not so much wanting to include the names of all the more attractive applications in the distribution name as not seeing any reason to glorify minor components that, after all, have their own distribution anyway if anyone is interested in them on their own merits.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx