Re: I need help with Fedora

aakash sharma wrote:
Hi Anne

Thanks for the advice and help
I just can't upgrade my RAM at least for 9 months.

Then set up a swap partition (or at least a swap file) in order to start swapping. Without it, you are just going to crash when you run out of memory. You should be able to use a live CD to do this if you can't do it during the installation process.

All i need to do is a project on Linux. That's why I want to install Fedora.
My project doesn't require latest features of FEDORA 9.

So, can u tell me which version of Fedora will work somewhat smooth like XP on my system.

FC1, FC2, FC3, etc Some system which I would not recommend you run because they probably have very many unpatched security holes, but are much easier on the memory footprint. Maybe a version of DSL Linux (Damn Small Linux), but you'd have to know what you need installed after that.

Try a *very* minimal install at first, installing the least necessary to get a running system. You can always install what you need later, after you get the system up and running.

Regarding partitioning, should a keep a logical NTFS partition before installing or should I first make a primary linux ext3 partition out of it.

Linux is much happier running on a *nix type filesystem, and NTFS is not it. ext3 or another *nix style fs should do you just fine.

Please help me regarding partitioning and choosing suitable linux edition.

Partitioning should include some space for swap. I'd put in 2-3 times your ram. Do you want it to run (albeit slowly when it has to swap), or would you rather it crash when you run out of memory. That's the choice you have to make.

Regards
Aakash

Good Luck!

--