Re: Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

Craig White wrote:

Would the world be a better place with no GPL and all software created
by those who now create code under the GPL putting it into the public
domain instead?
Microsoft would almost certainly have been displaced years ago by many other companies building better products containing this code - or at least have been forced to build much better products to stay competitive. That alone would have made the world a better place.
----
I doubt that it would have made the world a better place any more than
Coca-Cola does (and I'm a loyal Coke drinker).

The fact is, it is not now, nor has it ever been a stated goal to
'displace' Microsoft...at least not by the major Linux players. You've
confused your own aspirations with those of various contributors to that
which is known as Linux.

That may well be true, but restricting things to only serve your own goals is not the way to either freedom or making the world a better place.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx