Re: How is one supposed to use the KDE4 desktop ?

2008/7/18 linuxguy <linuxguy123@xxxxxxxxx>:
> I upgraded to F9 when it first came out.  Everything works, but my
> desktop is a mess.  But surely I am missing something, after all, why
> are the KDE developers so proud of their work ?
>
> So... how is one supposed to use the KDE4 desktop ?  Right now I have
> about 100 icons for folders and files randomly dispersed on the desktop.
> How do I clean them up and get my desktop organized again ?
>
> I hate that I can't drag and drop files into folders on the desktop.  Is
> there a way to do this without using Dolphin ?
>
> I hate the "collars" that appear around the file and folder icons.   Can
> they be turned off ?
>
> Thanks

I use KDE 4 daily on both of my computers, as the primary desktop
environment. I don't like the new desktop icons either, but I just
turned them off. The ability to manage files on the desktop background
is far from necessary, imo. In addition, there is greatly improved
support for desktop icons coming in KDE 4.1, so this is just a
temporary solution until the better one is ready.

--
Joonas Sarajärvi
muepsj@xxxxxxxxx