Re: F9: Mounting of drives

Tim wrote:

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 19:48 -0700, Dan Thurman wrote:
> Yes, I did.  I tried all 7 Sata ports and they all behaved the same
> way.  This blew me away.  Perhaps Sata ports have no unique
> position identifier, such as "I am Sata port #1", ... ?

On someone else's PC, I noticed that there did seem to be some order to
which port was first.  But I wonder if your problem is down to something
like:

One of the drives is ready first (Fedora 9 seems quite slow at scanning
devices, and spews out numerous errors in the meantime - at least it's
slow to boot up, and theres lots of dev errors when you plug in USB
drives post-boot).

One of the drive partitions is set up to be "bootable" and the other
not, and that affecting which is first.

Ok, I have to retract what I said about testing all 7 sata ports. It turns out that there is precedence on which port is recognized first. I have mis-tested this. I am able to find the first sata port on my Intel board and it does keep
my primary drive as /dev/sda and my cloned drive as /dev/sdb.  I am so
happy now!

Now, the problem I have is the cloned drive was not successful with the
dd command. It failed to create the swap partition and it failed to faithfully
create the / partition.

So it looks like I will have to discover a way to copy clone the partition of
/.  How can I do this safely?  cp -a?

What I do not want to do is to copy over from /, the devices for example
so what is the best method for copying over the partitions esp. that of / ?

I think /boot is not a problem with cp -a but I have a feeling / is significant.

Please advise?

Thanks!
Dan