Re: F9: tune2fs -u random <device>

Mark Haney wrote:

Dan Thurman wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote:
>>
>> Dan Thurman wrote:
>> >
>> > Hmm...  does this only work with Linux ext2/3?  What about other
>> > file systems such as NTFS?  What is the equivalent for setting
>> > NTFS file systems?
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> > Dan
>> >

>> Far as I know this is only for ext2/3 (maybe 4 at some point?).  Other
>> filesystems have similar options for them, but I don't think there's one
>> for NTFS.  And persionally, even if there were, I wouldn't go about
>> tinkering with those options in linux anyway. Why would you want to do
>> that?
>>
> Because when you clone a disk, the 2nd drive is an exact
> duplicate of the cloned drive which includes among other
> things, the UUID, Labels, and so on.  So I want to ensure
> that the cloned drive has different UUID's but with the labels
> intact to ensure that they do not conflict with one another
> should both drives remain connected to the same system.
> Otherwise you will not know which drive is being mounted
> on the file system, which is the main purpose of the UUIDs.
>
> Thanks!
> Dan

I am aware of all that.  The point is, if I need to clone a drive, I
tend not to have NTFS on it for the very reason that NTFS is way too
sensitive to changes.  If I do need to clone it, it's not to stay
connected to the system, it's to be used either as a backup, or to be
used in another system altogether.  This eliminates the need for that.

Regardless, I wouldn't personally use anything like tune2fs-equivalent
on an NTFS partition unless it's in Windows.  Too many things can go
wrong that way.

Ok, point taken!  Do you know if there is such a beast in windoes that can
change the UUID safely?  You see, if my daughter/updates screws up her drive
at least I can bring in the cloned copy and restore it albeit losing whatever was
added after the clone?

Thanks!
Dan