Re: SATA hotswap / hotplug

Christopher Mocock wrote:
Todd Denniston wrote:
lsi does not show up on http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html so you have to figure out what driver supports the card and ask about that driver.

It's the megaraid_sas driver but it's not shown on the linux-ata.org site, so that doesn't bode too well!

3Ware 9550SX,
http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html#tware
apparently you need to ask at the driver maker's site if they support it.

Aha, I shall do so.
Just as a quick heads up, with the 3ware cards, you have to have JBOD support on, and a hotswap compliant enclosure for this. If you are using any type of RAID (I use RAID 5 on the three I have) it shows as one, maybe two drives (sda/b) in Linux though I have between 4-12 drives in the system. I have hot swapped failed drives before, but if you are using a JBOD setup, I am not sure how that works as seen from Linux, though the card handles all of that internally. The biggest thing to watch for in the logs with 3ware is are kernel logs and 3dm2 logs for the card if you have the support software up.

according to the 'Driver / feature matrix'
http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html#matrix

driver=sata_mv
feature=Device Hotplug
feature state=no

Well spotted, I saw this bit of the same page...

http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html#marvell

... and it says:

Driver name: sata_mv

So I'm a little bit puzzled. Unless it means hotplugging the card itself?!?

Anyway, thanks for the pointers.

Regards,
Seann