"the whole GNU/Linux thing"

At 08:03 AM 7/16/2008, you wrote:
Daniel R. Koehler wrote:
> Maybe we should just refer to the whole GNU/Linux
> thing with a new name, that includes neither
> "GNU" or "Linux".  Call it Everyone's Operating
> System (EOS) or something that is more creative
> than what I can think of right now.

But what *is* that "whole thing" that might be called EOS? Where can I
download it from? Is there a list of what components it contains? We need to
define what it is before we can give it a name.

> That way,
> everyone can form a picture in their own mind of
> what it means, be it the kernel, the interface,
> the tools, the distribution, or whatever.

I think one of the major causes for this eternal argument is just that.
Everyone forms their own picture of what "Linux" or "GNU/Linux" means, and
people keep talking past each other because they don't realize that they're
talking about different things.

Bj?rn Persson

You are right, that is the rub. I am reminded of a bit of wisdom from my technical writing days: Know your audience. For many members of this list, when speaking about "GNU/Linux", there is a definite meaning and even personal feelings about this, so one must choose their words well. I think GNU/Linux is fine. For most people who just use the distributions on a daily basis, terms like "Fedora" or "Linux" or "Fedora: A Linux OS" all mean the same thing, even if not technically correct. If I even say "GNU" they give a blank stare. I have no problem with using the term "GNU/Linux", with the right audience. But I more often just use the distribution names. I apologize for my earlier long post with everything quoted. I was using an unfamiliar computer and email client, and it obviously didn't work right.

--
SCANNED for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner.