Re: that old GNU/Linux argument

On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 02:48 +0200, Björn Persson wrote:

> > Personally, I think the demand by Stallman, and others to call Linux
> > 'GNU/Linux' is just stupid and childish.
>
> What exactly is it that you don't want to call "GNU/Linux"? What pieces of
> software does it contain?

	I honestly tried to skip over this message but my "I'm feeling
antagonistic today" impulses overpowered my reason.

> Is Udev part of what you call Linux?
	Yes.
> Is Bash part of what you call Linux?
	Yes.
> Is GCC part of what you call Linux?
	Yes.
> Is Yum part of what you call Linux?
	Yes.
> Is Apache HTTPD part of what you call Linux?
	Yes.
> Is Sylpheed part of what you call Linux?
	Yes.
> Is GNU Chess part of what you call Linux?
	Yes.
> Is Kylix part of what you call Linux?
	And, well, yes.

	While it's a fact that the kernel is the only part of any distro that's
actually named Linux, The name has become attached to the entire OS.  It
is the de facto name for any OS that runs the Linux kernel regardless of
what the rest of the distro includes.  That's the reality of it and
there's no changing it.

	BTW, has the FSF been as vocal about GNU/FreeBSD?  Not picking on *BSD,
just curious.

--
"Life is hard. After all, it kills you."
                -- Katharine Hepburn