Re: modprobe & blacklist

john f jarvis wrote, On 07/15/2008 08:44 AM:
On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 23:05 -0700, Tod Merley wrote:
On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 5:32 AM, john f jarvis <johnfjarvis@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
To use gpsbabel with my Garmin Venture Hc gps receiver I must
first remove the FC9 builtin garmin_gps usb module.
As su this works: /sbin/rmmod garmin_gps

My question: How can I use the blacklist feature of modprobe
to do this automatically? Adding the line: blacklist garmin_gps
to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and/or modprobe.conf.dist
doesn't work.
       Thanks, John Jarvis

--
Hi John Jarvis!

I would look carefully at the output of lsmod before and after the use
of rmmod.  Likey there is another "companion" module you need to
blacklist to make this work.  To make one of my wireless modems work
for example I neede to blacklist oronco and oronco_cs to get the job
done.

Good Hunting!

Tod

Thank you Tod:
lsmod does show two modules are loaded: garmin_gps, usbserial
Adding both of them to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist doesn't prevent
scripts live?
	John

are you booting with the garmin plugged in?

I found (over the years) that if you want things in /etc/mod* to take effect at boot, you need to rebuild the initrd after making the mod.

An alternative, for testing purposes, is just rm/mv the module for now.

--
Todd Denniston