Re: Fedora 9: dbus problems with /home on nfs

David Jansen wrote, On 07/15/2008 04:32 AM:
Thanks for all your input, see comments below

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 04:44:18PM -0400, Todd Denniston wrote:
I think we kind of lost the OP's problem.

John Austin wrote, On 07/14/2008 03:39 PM:
On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 08:06 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 13:07 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
On Monday 14 July 2008 12:47:25 Tom Horsley wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 11:21:28 +0200

David Jansen <jansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Has anyone else seen this?
OP summary:[
/var/log/messages shows
kernel: dbus-daemon[22141]: segfault at 1c ip
7fa454a5f2e0 sp 7fff5ca79fa8 error 6 in dbus-daemon[7fa454a31000+4c000]
after gdm login of users on NFS.
]

Yes, that's a good summary of a bad situation :)
<SNIP>
I'm starting to suspect the gvfs system, which tries to mount stuff
under $HOME/.gvfs and I don't see this mount showing up for a user with
$HOME on nfs, only for users with local homes. I could understand that
it may not have sufficient permissions to mount something under a remote
nfs mount, but I would expect an error message; the logs don't seem to
indicate any messages about gvfs.

As for all the other comments about nfs problems: probably true, but it
doesn't explain why Fedora <= 8, RHEL, and Solaris all seem to be
perfectly happy with the network and nfs setup. It's certainly a new
problem in fedora 9, or a new feature in Fedora 9 (like gvfs?) triggers
the problem.

I think I did hear about this gvfs (as a default setup) thing being new in F9 and it was causing folks problems when they tried to backup.

I don't know how, but I would try disabling/killing gvfs for a while and see if that fixed it.

<grump>
Red Hat has explicitly indicated they will not be making _desktop_ distros for a while, and Fedora seems to be (probably accidentally) making things hard* for those folks who need a desktop distro in a networked environment.

*gvfs, gdm configuration ability getting more difficult ( a)need set a particular message, b) need to have no users listed on the screen at login, except the one that JUST put in the smart card) and a few other items that break with NFS/NIS/LDAP in use that I am forgetting right now.
</grump>

Anyway, I have a new set of options to test, to see if that solves
anything. Thanks to everyone who has resonded so far.

David Jansen

--
Todd Denniston