Re: modprobe & blacklist

Tod Merley wrote:

Hi John Jarvis!

I would look carefully at the output of lsmod before and after the use
of rmmod.  Likey there is another "companion" module you need to
blacklist to make this work.  To make one of my wireless modems work
for example I neede to blacklist oronco and oronco_cs to get the job
done.

I would use modprobe -r instead of rmmod. It will remove the modules loaded because of the module you are removing, unless they are used by something else as well. You might find a script like this useful: (untested)

#!/bin.bash
temp1=/tmp/lsmod1.$$
temp2=/tmp/lsmod2.$$
lsmod > $temp1
modprobe -r <module>
lsmod > $temp2
diff $temp1 $temp2 | less
rm $temp1 $temp2

The rm step is optional - if you think you will want to use the files again, remove it. You do not really need to use lsmod1.$$ and lsmod2.$$ - you could just use lsmod.$$, but if you want to look at the files by hand, it helps to keep them straight.

Mikkel