Re: Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

Alexandre Oliva wrote:

How is it that Fedora is not on this list?
http://www.gnu.org/links/links.html#FreeGNULinuxDistributions

gNewsSense just recently came around and they are on the list. What's
up with that?

Although there is non-Free Software included in Fedora, AFAIK the most
serious issue is a matter of policy ("non-Free Software is
acceptable"; "shipping these non-Free bits are not bugs that need
fixing right away") rather than the actual presence of non-Free
Software.  If the right policies were in place, given enough manpower,
all non-Free Software would be eventually shoved out of Fedora.  With
the current policies, more and more non-Free Software is being
welcomed into Fedora.

Errr... "right policies" isn't exactly a valid description. I'd call it misguided or cultish instead.

I ran across a surprisingly perceptive description of the confusion of GPL restrictions with freedom here:
http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/07/08/1832255&from=rss.

--
  Les Mikesell  (who likes his tivo...)
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx