F9: Problem setting resolution and video lockups

Preface:
I dug through the list and did some searching on Google Linux but haven't located a track pointing me in the direction to get this working right.

Problem:
Installation of F9 can only be set to a max resolution of 800x600 and minimum of 640x480 with the "nv" driver. This same video care and monitor ran at 1280x1024 on all previous versions of Fedora, up to and including F8. All attempts to use the proprietary nvidia driver from the livna repository end in a completely hung system shortly after restarting X.

Hardware:
    Monitor is Daewoo 707BN and video card nVidia NV34 GeForce FX 5200.

Details:
Upgrade from F8 had some minor problems[1] so I ended up having to do an install. Everything went just fine except that the Display resolution will only go up to 800x600. This is with the latest Xorg packages. When I install the nvidia packages from livna and restart X the screen flickers as it's coming up then after no more than 30 seconds everything is totally locked up and I need to reboot into single user mode to uninstall the nvidia packages.

Request:
If someone could point me towards where I can get info on tracking this problem down it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Joe

[1] I am never installing a system without a separate partition for /home again

--
Interesting Boring Blog - http://x-nc.blogspot.com
A combination of insight and inanity for your reading pleasure