Upgrading to Fedora 9 from Fedora 8 fails

This failure happened on two separate systems in an identical fashion, an AMD Athlon, and an Intel dual core.

The upgrade appeared to operate normally, but then Grub shows a kernel of 2.6.25.6-27.fc8, X11 fails, with a text prompt of Fedora release 9.

Yum fails and reports a phython module of _sha256 is missing. The phython, lib, and crypto versions look current, but some have a .fc8 extension instead of the .fc9.

It would appear whatever happened to phython, prevented Grub from being configured for Fedora 9.

Is there a simple way out, other than depending upon backups working? I have been doing upgrades in this manner since Fedora 2. This is the first time an upgrade resulted in such a puzzle. Is there something about the number 9 and desktop versions from RH?

Should I attempt to install the .fc9 versions of phython?

Advice would be appreciated, to help void making this a worse mess.

--MtView