Re: KWin (KDE4 from rawhide) using way too much CPU

Ho Colin,

Colin J Thomson said the following on 07/12/2008 08:30 PM:
Hi,

On Saturday 12 July 2008 10:38:55 Vini Engel wrote:

I believe many of the KDE users here might be using the rawhide build of
KDE4. I have been updating to every new build of KDE hoping that more
and more problems are going to be resolved. Thankfully all the major
issues with KDE4 seem to be getting resolved but there are still some
things that still look strange to me.

Yes KDE4.1 is excellent, I use the packages from kde-redhat.

Redhat meaning, not the ones from Fedora? You are actually running a Redhat distro as opposed to a Redhat sponsored distro?

When I enable Desktop Effects kwin and xorg take about 30% of the CPU
each. kwin sometimes takes as much as 80%, this is slowing down my
machine heaps. Although I could just disable the desktop effects and
resolve the problem I would rather give feedback to any KDE/Fedora
developers out there and assist with the resolution of this issue.

Try disabling "VSync" in System Settings > Desktop > Advanced, this will drop the Kwin cpu usage.

I have just tried that, I didn't seem to have changed anything.

There was also a bug causing heavy CPU use if you had the Lock/Logout widget in the Panel, but I think this could of been fixed now. I can't remember/find the Bug #'s off hand though.

Maybe this is another bug, do you know how I would go about reporting it?

Thanks
Vini