Re: KDE hosed - no display

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 11:57 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > /var/log/messages tells me that
> > >
> > > pulseaudio failed
> > > X server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly (presumably the important
> > > one)
> > >
> > > restorecond: Will not restore a file with more than one hard link
> > > (/etc/resolv.conf) Invalid argument
> > >
> > > /etc/resolv.conf contains the IP addresses of my ISP's two nameservers.
> > >
> > > There's no clue as to why the X server terminated.
> > >
> > > System-config-display appears to be using correct settings.
> >
> > What happens if you boot to run level 3, login, and issue a startx?
> >
> It tells me that the server is already active.  I have removed the lockfile,
> but it made no difference.
>
> > Also, not clear from the above if restorecond is complaining about
> > /etc/resolv.conf or what "(/etc/resolv.conf) Invalid argument" means.
> >
> > You could determine the inode if resolv.conf and check to see how many
> > hardlinks for it exist.
>
> I haven't a clue what this is talking about, but since I have selinux in
> permissive mode it shouldn't be interfering with things, I think/hope.  I'm
> leaving this one alone until I get X sorted out.
>
> Just in case, I renamed xorg.conf, so that F9 could do its own thing.  That
> didn't make any difference, either.
>
> Anne

I had the same problem a day or two ago when I updated. I thought
it might have been cause of my computer freezing up during the
the update which might have been part of it. Anyway once I got a
driver back I had the same issue. I could login to kde as root but
not user. I tracked it down to the .kde/share/config directory but
not sure which file in it. What I did was delete my user account after
backing it up then recreated it which let me into kde again. I then
logged back in to a terminal and renamed the newer .kde dir brought the
old one back in and rsynced the new .kde/share/config directory back
into it and got most of my kde settings back.
Hope this helps you some
Don