Re: F9: Various /var/log/messages errors....

Todd Denniston wrote:

Dan Thurman wrote, On 07/10/2008 10:45 AM
> Ha.  No, no, not a knacker HD. It's a brand new SATA 750GB HD. I am
> installing
> "everything" for fun and then backtracking out any conflicts.  What I
> found is very
> interesting - LOTS of pitfalls and traps. Sorta like wading into a
> dungeon and dragons
> game. (Remember that old text-based-only game?)

Have you picked _one_ of rsyslog|ntsyslog and `rpm -e theOtherOne`?
several daemons did not seem to work right at all until we did.

I picked rsyslog.  You mean syslog-ng?  I ran into that trap
a long time ago.  That's one of `em!

and as for the ifd handlers for pcsc, you only want to have ccid and the one that someone put as a dependency of pcscd. cyberjack seems to hyjack the ifd
connections until pcscd has no chance of working.

Hm.  I have all of pcsc selected and I also have ccid selected.
Can you explain what I need to disable/choose between the
two?  I attempted to remove all `smart card' programs until
I realized how entrenched it seems - yum wants to remove
alot of files I did not want removed so I left it alone.  There
is one related to ifd and that is ifd-egate and I do not have
that selected.

> Anyway, people are wondering why I am doing this and not staying into
> the normal
> installation procedure (what is a normal installation procedure anyway),

Pick custom and add only those things I know I need, and I Know don't conflict
with other things in the base system. (at least for me.)

[basically custom and add everything in the group with the compilers]

> so here I
> am, reporting what I find!  I guess that is my (perhaps idiotic)
> contribution to this
> group, but here it is.
>
> I am still stuck on that system-config-services thing - it is truly
> screwed.  I wonder what
> caused it!  No error messages anywhere!  It is a python script - wonder
> if I can do an
> strace on it. Hmm.... work in progress I guess.

an `rpm -verify` on the package system-config-services comes in and any it
depends on may be in order.

ok, tried it and rpm returns nothing. Must be ok.

Thanks!
Dan