Re: [F9] laptop not booting - reinstall MBR?

Tim wrote:
On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 15:41 -0400, Don Levey wrote:
But there is no separate /boot partition.  The /boot directory lives
in /.  I used to make a separate /boot partition, but was told a while
back (perhaps 2 years or so) that this was no longer necessary.

That *may* be your problem.  e.g. Up until now, all the files in
the /boot directory that GRUB needed to read at start up were in
locations that the BIOS could reach.  But over time, as files get
written, modified, etc. (new kernels installed, grub.conf rewritten),
the data has moved into areas that it can't.

I don't think this is it. I think there is something motherboard/controller related. I tried a second hard drive, and couldn't boot from that either. The times I tried fsck I uncovered no problems, all files seem to be where they should be, and everything else seems fine. I may try to boot off of these drives in another machine today, just to re-confirm, but it looks like the machine is in need of major surgery or a burial.

 -Don