Re: F8 and a GPS -OT

Simon Slater wrote:
I don't suppose someone of your ilk could point a young bloke to some
reading on serial comms with linux boxes?  I have a box of odd things
I'd like to get going to save some manual data input (microchip reader,
barcode scanners etc).  Might even be useful when I get a GPS next year.
I keep putting it off for a rainy day, but the drought hasn't broken
yet.  About 20 years ago did a bit with minicom and remote weather
stations, but can't recall how I got started.

One thing to keep in mind when dealing with programming serial ports is that there are two different sets of commands to deal with. Look at the open and fopen man pages.

If you would like to see one of my early attempts to deal with logging data from a serial device, do a search for cld-0.2-2.src.rpm. You might also find this link interesting...

http://freshmeat.net/projects/meter/

Mikkel