gnome panel stacking persistence fails

I'm not sure if what I am doing is considered wise or useful, but here goes.

In F7 I could stack two gnome panels over each other on the bottom of the screen, and their order would persist. Under F9, some type of )perhaps unintentional) weighting takes hold, and one panel takes precedence over the other after two reboots.

Typically I would stack the panel carrying the menu (and any other widget(s)) over a blank panel, and then load the blank panel with an image. The "image panel" is configured to be the lowest on the display, and the menu panel is just above that.

In F9 I can do this, and it seems to stick across one restart. The image panel is along the bottom of the display, and the menu-bearing panel is stuck above the image panel.

Additional reboots alter the order. The panel carrying the menu (and any other widget(s)) ends up below the image panel, at the bottom of the display. I can reorder it again, but the 2nd reboot ends up with the panel order reversed from my preference.

It's as though gnome now prefers, when given the choice between two stacked panels, to always place a "loaded panel" at the bottom of the display.

---
John