Re: sendmail

William Case wrote:
Tim;

I may be way off base here; I am not up on things dealing with networks
in general and Network Manager in particular.  But ...

On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 11:02 +0930, Tim wrote:
Tim:
An alternative would be to put a restart script into the Network Manager
Dispatcher directory.  That way sendmail will be restarted any time the
network goes down and up.  A smart script would check whether it should
restart a running service, or do nothing to a deliberately stopped
service.
Knute Johnson:
Could you provide a little more detail on exactly how to do this?
I've attached a not-so-intelligent script for restarting the NTP daemon
(it starts or restarts it, but doesn't "do nothing" if NTPD were
manually stopped beforehand).  When a network interface comes up, it
starts NTP if it's not already running, it restarts it if were.  And
when the interface goes down, it stops it.  The LOGGER bit, in it, is
about putting entries into /var/log/messages, as well.

You could modify it to start/restart sendmail, or any other service, and
modify it leave to leave the service running all the time.
I think I had a similar problem with Boinc; got lots of suggestions from
the list.  Some of them even worked.  I filed a bug against Network
Manager and got the following response:
             Status|NEW                         |CLOSED
         Resolution|                            |NOTABUG

------- Additional Comments From dcbw@xxxxxxxxxx  2008-07-02 19:04 EST
-------
Boinc is probably starting so soon after NetworkManager that the network
is not up yet.  It's technically a bug in Boinc that it doesn't wait for
a network connection and periodically re-try to send/grab the data.  But
for the moment, you can add the line:

NETWORKWAIT=yes

to /etc/sysconfig/network and startup will block for 10 seconds or until
a network connection is up, whichever is sooner.

This solution avoids the restart.  Maybe this will work for sendmail as
well.

Thanks very much, I'll try that one too.

--
Knute Johnson
linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx