Re: cdrecord permission problems

Alan Cox wrote:
The reason setuid is needed is to allow use of vendor commands, and the command filter in the kernel doesn't allow some as non-root. Certain people in the kernel community refuse to add these command, the author

Actually thats untrue. We've added commands where it is safe to do so and
we've also repeatedly said to people who wanted to customise the command
list "send patches". Nobody has.

What patches? Below you reject the idea of specifying processes I trust to write individual devices, any patch to add commands to the allowed commands table in a running system could hardly be safer, and the table applies to all processes and CD devices, while I propose matching g+rw on the device with eGID of the process at open and setting some "trust" flag. That allows me to trust only a single device to a single process.

The right answer would be to have the kernel provide a way such as group id, so I could identify devices and programs I trust with each other.

That doesn't work. If you give a process access to a CD it can change the
firmware which means next reboot it controls the system. Thus the only
logical thing you can give it is pretty much "all powers"

Anyone who puts anything ahead of the disk in the boot sequence is asking to leave a media in a drive at next boot. Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>