Re: Networkmanager seems to ignore WEP code

Luis Orlindo Tedeschi wrote:
Would the WPA problem affect the WEP?

(For those who have forgotten, my laptop is running F9 x86_64. Up-to-date through yum daily. It has ipw3945 hardware, and I'm using the iwl3945 wifi drivers.)

I read through *all* the duplicate bugs and the comments in 453390, and many people claimed that while WPA/WPA2 was whacked, WEP still worked for them. The general claim is that it was a bug in wpa_supplicant. If so, it should have *no* effect on WEP, which is implemented elsewhere (isn't it?).

I find this really strange, because, I booted the new .9-76 kernel yesterday, and it connected to my AP right away. My AP is a wrt54g, V3.0, still running its original firmware. And I'm using WPA-AES encryption, (though I've been thinking of moving to WPA-TKIP and maybe changing my channel B^). This appears to be the opposite behaviour from everyone who did a me2 on that bug report! What works for them fails for me, and what fails for them works for me. Really strange.

2-3 weeks ago, I took a long holiday away from home. Brought the laptop with me because the inn claimed to have free WiFi. In fact, they had a small Airport AP running 40-bit WEP. (while I was still running the .6-55 kernel) NetworkManager found the AP just fine, but wouldn't connect. It just kept re-prompting me for the passphrase. Well, actually, it had encoded the passphrase and prompted me to reenter the encrypted 40/128 bit encoding, which was a hex string. Nothing I tried would connect. So, when I retired to my room for the night, to my surprise, the laptop found the open wireless from the house across the street! Bing, bada boom, it connected (I didn't even *ask* it to)! (no encryption, not WEP, not WPA, nothing).

When I got back home, I was able to re-connect to my house. WPA-AES. It connected first try. Really strange!

Now, after seeing all of the complaints about .9-76, I waited until I tried to view a DVD, and my system panicked. When I re-booted, it was the latest kernel, and I expected the WiFi to fail. "Surprise, surprise, surprise Sergeant Carter!" It connected first time. I even suspended my lappie overnight, and when I re-booted, it connected again!

So, maybe I don't know what the bug is, but maybe its related to WPA/WPA2, but not WPA-AES?

And I have no clue as what's wrong with WEP, as a lot of the people commenting on the bug claims they have no problems using WEP!

So, here I am, not a general user of WEP, having problems getting it to work at all. Its not one of my "standard" setups. I only expect to use it rarely. But, I expect it to work when I do, so when it doesn't, it makes it really hard to fix (How do you fix your internet connection when you can't get it to work????) How am I supposed to then google for the answers?!

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx