Re: RAID and /boot partitions

redhatdude@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
From: redhatdude@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

From: Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
redhatdude@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,
When creating a RAID 1 in F9.
Does it make sense to make the /boot partition on both discs a RAID too?
I have /boot and / as RAID 1 (dm-0 and dm-1). If I disconnect one of the drives, the computer freezes. Isn't the RAID supposed to keep it running?
I'm really new to this, so any help is appreciated.

Are you sure /boot is on a raid partition, and not on a dm pseudo device? If you created a partition on your drives, made a raid-1 of the two partitions (100-200MB is good), and then did whatever with the rest of your disk, you should be fine.

If you made one huge raid array and used dm to break it up, you are not fine. Do "cat /proc/mdstat" and see that there is a small raid-1 for boot, and "df" to check that /dev/mdX is mounted on /boot. If that's the case you should be good, otherwise you probably don't boot off one drive.

NOTE: your BIOS may not boot off the 2nd drive if the 1st drive is present and has data errors, should if the 1st drive is dead. Some BIOS do, some don't.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
This is the output of df.

/dev/md1             470535632   3951984 442681744   1% /
/dev/md0                 99099     12499     81484  14% /boot
tmpfs                  2032168        48   2032120   1% /dev/shm

And this is the output of cat /proc/mdstat Personalities : [raid1] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] md0 : active raid1 sdb1[1] sda1[0]
      102336 blocks [2/2] [UU]
md1 : active raid1 sda3[0] sdb3[1]
      478038080 blocks [2/2] [UU]
unused devices: <none>

I have two drives with /boot and /
If I unplug the first one, the system remains up and running. If I however unplug the second one, the system becomes unstable, X crashes, and eventually the system becomes irresponsive.
Why does this happen with one disk only?
Thanks,
EJ

To answer my own question.
The problem is that the swap partition is only on one disk and it's not RAIDed. So when I unplug the drive with the swap partition, the system goes down.
The next step would be to create a RAID for swap and make the system use it.
EJ

Good catch, just for completeness, using a raid 10,f2 swap seems fastest, but the last Fedora recovery CD I tried didn't start it the way it does raid-1. I didn't need it, and could start it by hand, but if you have a low memory system it could be an issue.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>