Re: ifdown. is it really down?

John Cornelius wrote:
I think you misunderstood. I was suggesting that normally ifdown won't turn
a device off, so it will still see ethernet traffic sent to it.
Even if it is powered down it is likely that one of the LEDs will flash
when traffic appears on the line. If both LEDs flash then it hasn't come
down and you can be concerned but many NICs' LEDs will flash even if the
computer is powered off if it is attached to an active Ethernet.

You are correct, however, that 'ifdown' does not power the device off,
it only takes the interface down.

i have 2wire configured so that nothing comes in unless i initiate.

running test at grc.com and thru bellsouth.net, i show to be full stealth,
as ping reply is also disabled.

only way, to my understanding, my ip address does not show. i may be wrong,
but i do not know where it leaks, if it does.

if i have nothing up, ie, 'ifdown' has run, or fresh boot, no tbird or ffox,
or any other internet connecting program, i see no flicker. i have sat and
watched for this for 15 - 20 minutes.

if during this time, i run 'yum update' or any derivative, or ping, i get
back a message that ethernet is disconnected or unable to connect.

if i start tbird and still 'ifdown', i will get a flicker from ethernet led
on dsl modem at a 2 minute intervals, as i have it set to check every 2
minutes, and there is no other flicker.

this is where i need something to watch ethernet port. when i used mandriva,
i used 'network monitor' and would like something of this type to watch.

i am considering using wireshark for this and i guess should set it up and let
it run to capture what is happening. but i would like some that uses less
screen space.

my mind is still open for suggestions.

thanks for you help and i will stay with you and this 'problem', mind stumper.

--

tc,hago.

.