Re: need help with sed

Hello Luc,

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 18:33:42 +0200 Luc MAIGNAN <luc.maignan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> it is a normal feature because your regex works on only one caracter ':' and not all. You should use 'g' as 'global' modifyer to do what you want :

Luc, if you replied to my email (instead of a previous on in the
thread), this means that you ignored the 3 other replies in that thread
that brought the solution to the OP. More over, replying to my email
does nothing but confusing the topic, since I introduced another idea.
Please read the thread before replying blindly!

Regards,

> echo 2008:04:23 | sed 's/://g'
>
> Regards
>
> wwp a écrit :
> > Hello Guillaume,
> >

> > On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 13:58:29 +0200 Guillaume <guillaume.chardin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >   >> Hi,
> >>
> >> When I run this command:
> >>      echo  2008:04:23 | sed 's/://'
> >> The result is
> >>      200804:23
> >>
> >> I expect to have this :
> >>      20080423
> >>
> >> What is wrong with my very simple regexp  ':' why all occurence of the
> >> char ':' are not deleted ?
> >>
> >> its make me crazy, can someone help me ?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>     >
> > For this exact same purpose - removing all occurrences of some specific
> > char(s) - you could have used `tr`, like in:
> >
> > # echo 2008:04:23 | tr -d :
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> >   -- fedora-list mailing list
> fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx