Re: Dependency resolution failed

Luis Orlindo Tedeschi wrote:
Folks; I've been trying to update Fedora 9 since last week and I keep
getting Dependency Resolution Failed. It says Missing Dependency:
tcl-devel = 1:8.5.1 is needed by package 1:tk-devel: 8.5.1-4.fc9.i386.
Does anyone have a solution for this? Thanks in advance.

It is trivial to do the following.  (as root)
yum list updates > updates
Edit updates to leave only the packages. Put #! /bin/bash at the top. Replace the version of the package with *, and add yum -y update in front of each package. In vim, recording a macro to do this takes less than a minute.
Save the file.
Change the mode on updates to executable   chmod +x updates
./updates

This is a little inefficient as it runs yum on individual packages that have been pulled in for dependencies already, but it will update everything except the invalid package.

When I was using rawhide I automated this with scripts and python programs (well, more sophisticated than this). There are almost always dependency errors in rawhide, so you would never get any updates if you didn't do something like this.