Re: Any hope of KDE 3.5 in F10? I want it too !

On Thursday 26 June 2008, Craig White wrote:
>On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 21:29 +0100, AnneWilson wrote:
>> On Thursday 26 June 2008 17:08:28 Gene Heskett wrote:
>> > As do I, David.  And PA wrecked it all until I had gotten out the knife
>> > and removed as much of it as I could.  This is not to say that something
>> > like PA isn't potentially useful, but to ship a completely broken PA,
>> > and then the only help offered was the advice to remove it, seems to be
>> > highly counter-productive to getting it, or something like it, working.
>> >
>> > However, here on this system PA was a solution (if it worked, I'm
>> > dubious) in search of a problem I didn't have.
>>
>> The funny thing is that on this system I can't get anything from the
>> onboard sound, and I frequently get a 'falling back to pulse-audio'.  So
>> far, PA has played everything.
>
>----
>Gene struggled with pulseaudio and skype and multiple sound cards...his
>situation was largely untypical (what a shock).

Humm, now if one is going to use skype or ekiga, why not set it up to use a
dedicated sound card so one isn't constantly tearing up a working audio system
just to use an internet telephone?  To me it made perfect sense to separate the
functions at the outset & do away with all the tomfoolery and config clashes
inherent in trying to make one sound card do it all?

>Along with running GUI as root, building packages from source as root,
>Gene sometimes is the poster boy for 'What not to do in Linux' - I'd
>hardly give his opinions on pulseaudio a second thought.

Gee, Craig, that from you is so mild it is almost praise.  But let me advise you
about me just a wee bit in case you've forgotten.

I have never, ever fit the mold you want all the sheeple to fit into, and likely
never will.  Time, I'll give you, has caught up with me in my 7th decade, but I
was fixing radios & tv's for a living while your parents were still in grammer
school reading McGuffies if they were lucky.  If they hadn't been born yet in
1946, then they sadly missed out on one of teachings best tools ever.

Steve Ciarcia, editor/owner of Circuit Cellar Ink magazine said it best when we
got into a discussion about education vs experience when he wrote to me and
said "The only sheepskin that really counts is the one you sleep on."

Mine is for the most part, pretty comfortable.  How is yours?

Yeah go ahead, call me a crotchety old fart.  I'll buy Andy Rooney at least one
of whatever he drinks if I ever get a chance to do it, I think we would see eye
to eye on a lot of things called by various PC names, but which he and I will
call common sense.

Now back to your regularly scheduled cat herding.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)