F8 -> F9 rpms

Most of you know I've had wireless card problems recently and decided to upgrade that box from F8 to F9 to see if this fixed some of that. Well it seems to have fixed /some/ but not all. At this stage I"m content with it as is as far as the wireless goes, since it's up and I"m in the middle of using it to test a new GigE circuit we're bringing up for my office.

But, what bothers me now is the extraordinary number of F8 packages left on the box after the upgrade. I don't use 3rd party repos, so that's not really an issue. But what I don't get is, is that SOP for this upgrade? To have lots of F8 packages left? I mean it doesn't even look like there are F9 equivalents for various F8 packages I would call 'important' like fedora-usermgmt-shadow-utils. Part of the problem is that yum update completely implodes with dependency problems because of these legacy RPMs. I know some of them have F9 equivalents that were installed, but not all. I'm still working on a way to grep for all the packages that have both F8 and F9 on that system so I can remove the older ones.

So, can someone explain to me why this is so? Or give me a way to find the duplicate packages a little more painlessly and dumping the rpm db into a file and manually looking for them?

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support