Re: What is the matter with fedora 9?

newbie here... trying to make linux work as a gui interface with postgresql... found fc9 unworkable too as compared to fc8....our own opinion is that fc9 has implemented some features we don't understand. e.eg. off the bat, after installation...the samba services status appear unknown in the services window...I think so do other services (somebody posted a reason for it I think... but it involves several 'classic' prompt windows edits...) so for now we are sticking to fc8...thankful for all the efforts plugged into the fedora project in general... but just wishing we understood the thinking behind the changes in fc9...

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Horsley" <tom.horsley@xxxxxxx>
To: <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2008 5:37 AM
Subject: Re: What is the matter with fedora 9?

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 17:53:37 +0200
fedora <fedora@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

it introduced a NetworkManager which prohibits networking.

Don't know about the other problems, but for me this makes
networking function just like always:

chkconfig --level 2345 NetworkManager off
chkconfig --level 2345 network on
reboot

That turns off NetworkManager and goes back to the old nasty
stick-in-the-mud networking that actually works :-).

NetworkManager may be good for folks with laptops who flit
about from one hotspot to another, but it is hopeless for
us more ordinary network users who have static IPs or even
DHCP networks initialized at boot time and unchanging after
that. It should never have arbitrarily been made the default.