Re: Fedora 9, multi-monitor, multi-card woes

Jeffrey M. Hardy wrote:
Hello all,

From FC1 to F8 inclusive, I have used the same hardware to have a fully-spanned desktop using three cards across four monitors. Rather than being too ambitious at the moment, I am merely trying to get three separate non-cloned desktops across three different cards. Here is lspci output:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17GL [Quadro NVS] (rev a3) 05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] (rev b2) 05:01.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] (rev b2)

We see that a lot here. What is happening is that no single driver will handle both of those cards. Your choices are:

1. (recommended) dump the $20.00 MX 400 for something made this century. :)

2. run both the legacy and the new nvidia drivers. This is a REAL PITA and takes a level of expertise nearing black magic to make work. If you are not a wizard class admin, don't attempt it. :)

When my users bring be machines with mismatched junk video cards to install, I tell them strait up that for the time it would take to make it work, I could make enough money to buy a new top of the line Nvidia or ATI card.

Think about it.

Good Luck!