Re: FC9 x86_64 powers off unexpectedly

Dan Farmer wrote:
Hi All,

My system has been spontaneously powering off once or twice a day for
the last week or so. The obvious candidate would be thermal issues, so
I took some steps to improve cooling and I believe that is fairly well
resolved. At the last power off that I was present for I checked the
CPU temp in the BIOS when it booted up and the temp was 45 degrees C.
I also tweaked some settings related to cpu voltage and powersaving
settings that seemed to help a bit (?). But still my longest run of
uptime has been about 18 hours.

I recently built this sytem, the specs are as follows:

System specs:
Fedora Core 9 x64_64
500W power supply
Core2 Duo E8400 proc @ 3Ghz
4 GB RAM
GIGABYTE GA-EP35C-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 motherboard
nvidia geforce 8800 GT

I've built plenty of systems before that never have had problems, but
I wouldn't completely rule out "build quality" I suppose -- I just
think it's unlikely. Can anyone give me some direction on what else I
can investigate? Any log files, BIOS settings (I know that's a little
out of the scope...), etc?

Thank you! Other than the intermittent loss of power I've really been
digging FC9 :)

-Dan

I don't know about that Intel's, but on some AMD MB the higher end cpus would cause machines to power off, the issue was that the MB in question was not testing at all with the higher cpu speeds, and the higher cpus pulled too much power and resulted in MB power components overheating, the initial solution was to put a bigger heatsink on the power components, the later solution was to use a larger power component, you may be able to test this sort of theory by having a fan directly blow on the MB to keep everything nice and cool, you might also use a temp meter and measure the temps on various components and see if anything outside of the cpu is getting too warm, or you could using the powersavings setting in Linux to not allow the cpu to run at the highest speed, if not running at the highest speed helps, then it could be overheating, or causing some other component to overheat. Also without something cpu intensive running the cpu temp may not mean anything, if you do get something cpu intensive to run, that may cause it to fall over fairly quickly.

                                Roger