Re: Blue Screen

max wrote:
tony.chamberlain@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
We installed Linux and some software for a customer and sent him the machine.
First we made sure everything was OK, rebooted, etc.

But now when he is trying to bring it up it goes through all the initialization stuff, etc., but then he just gets the blue screen (you know, you usually get a blue screen but with a login box in the middle?). Anyway all he gets is a blue screen.

Any idea what could be wrong? I know before there was a problem where in /etc/inittab
for runlevel 3, instead of
id:5:initdefault:

I put

x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

but I tried this on a machine here. It never gives you the blue screen.
It hangs after the initialization, and never goes into X. Also, I had
him bring up the kernal select and put a " s" for single-user mode,
but the same thing happened.

Any ideas?

Try putting 3 or 1 (runlevels) instead of "s". I would use 3 instead of 1 and try startx from there. Which display manager are you using?

which video driver are you using?

A stroll thru the log files wouldn't hurt either, which desktop is it again?KDE?GNOME?XFCE?

Here is my inittab:(i use KDE and GNOME(less and less, yeah!!))
[x33@localhost xinit]$ cat /etc/inittab
# inittab is only used by upstart for the default runlevel.
#
# ADDING OTHER CONFIGURATION HERE WILL HAVE NO EFFECT ON YOUR SYSTEM.
#
# System initialization is started by /etc/event.d/rcS
#
# Individual runlevels are started by /etc/event.d/rc[0-6]
#
# Ctrl-Alt-Delete is handled by /etc/event.d/control-alt-delete
#
# Terminal gettys (tty[1-6]) are handled by /etc/event.d/tty[1-6] and
# /etc/event.d/serial
#
# For information on how to write upstart event handlers, or how
# upstart works, see init(8), initctl(8), and events(5).
#
# Default runlevel. The runlevels used are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode
# 2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
id:5:initdefault:

His problem is going to be with his Video driver.