Re: linux - scientific

Michael Hannon wrote:
We use Scientific Linux a lot at work.  It's a recompiled RHEL, similar
to  CentOS.  We use it mostly for servers and have been happy with it.

other than servers, how do you use scientific linux?

currently, my desire is to use scientific linux for a workstation.
i need a good system that is stable for control system design.

It has  very good community support via their mailing lists, and the

this is what i would expect from a '.gov' and i am looking forward to see
how well they follow thru with 'government attitude'. [positive type]

Note that Scientific Linux, as with other "enterprise" distributions,

other than a good stable system, my only other _need_ of 'package software'
is in using gnucash. audio and video are just more 'icing on cake' for me.

Scientific Linux will typically be supported for three years or more,
while Fedora needs to be updated about once a year.

3 year support is great and advantageous, but i really do not mind doing an
upgrade more often. after all, most long term support is almost an upgrade.

Another thing to note is that Scientific Linux does not meet the same
purity-of-essence standard as Fedora: the distribution contains software
that is free and useful but not GPL'ed.

'poe' is more icing, but not a necessity. i scanned a bunch of pages on site
but did not look into what extra software they supply. a lot of what i will
be using is used in 'fedora electronic lab'. what is available thru scientific
linux will be more icing.

thanks for you reply.

later.

--