Re: Mirrors(?) for local repo

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 13:13:29 +0100,
  Frank Murphy <frankly3d-fedoracore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 08:07 -0400, David Boles wrote:
> > Frank Murphy wrote:
> > > How do you know the correct mirrors for rsync a local repo.
> > > Is it by the biggest bandwidth one chooses,
> > > or just the closest geographically?
> >

> > Closest does not necessarily mean 'fastest'. And not all mirrors support rsync.
> >

> I'm looking at the mirrors page, put how to choose?

That depends on what you need. First off they need to mirroring what you
need. The various mirrors mirror different subsets of Fedora stuff.
You also may care about how up to date the mirrors are. Some are better
than daily, others seem to do updates on the order of weekly.
Also you may care about bandwidth if you need downloads to occur rapidly.
You also probably want to get data from a mirror that is geographicly close
as that is likely to be more efficient. Another consideration is using
internet2. If you are at an internet2 site, you probably want to pull from
a mirror on internet2.
And lastly, mirrors provide data by rsync, ftp and/or http, but many only
provide data via a subset of those protocols.