Re: A question for the open source people

I'm a web programmer, I don't know C or C++ but actually can't live a day without open source web content management systems like worldpress which I'm hacking and building a copy of it for special needs, and yes a lot of people ( including me ) spend hours reading others code, learning and hacking, specially those easy to read programming languages ( python, php )

Michael Harpe wrote:
What I have always been curious about is this: how many of you actually take advantage of the open source? In other words, how many of you really take the source code and do something with it?

Personally I don't. I can program in C, i'm pretty good at it. I've just never felt the need to alter the software I use. I'm fine with waiting for the new versions as they come out.

I'm really not trying to start a fight. I am just curious. I love free software. I think the free software movement has enabled a lot of people who could not afford to operate a computer to do so. Having Linux source code available has trained a generation of system programmers. There's no disputing the value of free, open source software.

Anyway, that's my question. Feel free to respond to me directly.