Re: Memory, swap, and limits [now becoming OT]

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 08:57:18AM -0400, James Kosin wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> >On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 09:56:25 -0400,
> >  James Kosin <jkosin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> >>Having TOO much swap space can be a detriment and not an asset.
> >>Usually, the rule of thumb I go by is allocate about 2x the amount of
> >>physical memory installed on the system; for machines with < 1M.  This
> >>number will need to approach more or less 1x for machines with 1-2M.
> >>With machines with > 2M; I'm not sure swap space will make much of a
> >>difference, unless you rely on X heavily.
> >>

> >Presumably you mean Gigabytes above as there haven't been desktop machines
> >with memory on the order of 1 megabyte in about 15 years.
> >
> >There are other factors in this. If you turn off overcommit you need to
> >have swap space available to back memory that may be allocated but not
> >really being used. So rules of thumb using ratios may not always be
> >applicable.
> >

> Sorry, I'm a bit dated and now I've probably revealed my age.
> I've been around since the first personal computers and remember when
> 64K was considered a LOT of memory.

I remember when the company where I worked (my first programming job), which
sold a product based on a Dec lsi-11 board, decided that all new systems
would go out the door with 64KB--I thought we'd died and gone to heaven, all our
problems are over now! Of course it was only a few months before 64KB wasn't
big enough either. :(

---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------